Thursday, August 28, 2008

I Made It!

I made it! I was totally pathetic, but after 4 hours of hiking straight up, I reached the summit. We started out with a 2 mile uphill stroll through the forrest up to the timber line. Then we were greeted with the boulders as you'll see below that should have convinced me to turn back then. But luckily, it was cloudy which blocked the view of the mountains summit. Had I seen how far I really had to go, I probably would not have made it. It was a very strenuous hike and I will easily admit I was quite a pathetic site trying to convince my body to continue taking steps. I was not prepared for the arctic weather and to the other groups on the mountain we looked pretty stinkin funny in our shorts and little coats. Probably the highlight of the trip was sliding down a snow covered valley on a garbage bag. Rather than continue climbing down the rocks, my sister Jill and I climbed down into a valley of snow and slid down probably 100 feet at a blistering speed. It was a blast and I'm glad I did it thanks to my brother Randy. Now I can say I've climbed a mountain and I will never do it again!


Here is Mt. St. Helens and Spirit lake before the eruption in 1980
Here is what the eruption did to the mountain side. We hiked up on the higher ridge and if the clouds had dissipated we could have looked down at the blast side and the still devastated wildlife.
After we hiked up to the tree line, we had to literally crawl up boulders for 1.5 miles. You can see my sister Tina in the picture "nailing" the mountain.
After the climb over the boulders, we had to traverse the ash and sand to the summit for about a half mile. This was by far the most difficult part of the hike. For every two steps forward, you slid back one. It was super frustrating and incredibly difficult. Thanks to the packed footholds from everyone before me, I made it.
This is the continually growing lava dome inside the crater. I read that it grows 3 to 6 feet everyday. There was steam coming off of it and it was huge.Here is our group at the summit. The winds were blowing 30 mph and it was probably 20 degrees! We were all shivering like crazy in our totally insufficient clothing so we didn't stay long.
This was probably half way up the mountain and we were way above the clouds. It really felt like the top of the world. It was an amazing site and one I probably won't ever see again.

9 comments:

Mitsy said...

Karen!! I'm so glad that your back safely and that you had a great time! Those pictures are amazing!! I'm super jealous that you got to do that and I can only imagine what it felt like at the top of a mountain! I have an idea though! You know how I want to get people to go to Maui next year? There is a huge volcano there called Haleakala. Basically, you get driven to the very top in the early early morning so that it is still dark when you get to the top, but then you watch the sunrise over the clouds....I've heard it's amazing! Then you ride down the volcano on bikes!! Well, anyway....I'm sure glad you are back! I missed you but I'm glad you had fun with your fam! Love you sis and hopefully I'll see you soon!

Angie said...

hey... those pictures look familiar! He, he! I forgot to tell you that I left a little bottle of contact solution on the upstairs bathroom counter for you... oops. Someone gave it to me but I use a different kind. Oh well.

TaylorClan said...

I am seriously impressed. I guess that climbing a mountain is something I will have to try before I die-then again from the looks of it, it could kill me!

Whitaker Family said...

Great job, Kar! I am totally impressed. I have never done anything like that and looks like a once in a lifetime experience! Nice to have you home!

Kaysha Alesa said...

Wow. Sweet. I'd like to see me get my butt up there. Right. You are amazing.

Kimm said...

Kare your not dead, that is good. You are a stinkin stud.

Hollie said...

Those pictures are awesome! I don't think i'd have the guts to climb anything that had lava brewing inside it! Glad you had fun though!

Randy and Tasha said...

I knew you would make it.What a sweet adventure eh?Up for another challenge next summer?This time we'll plan according to the weather.Peace out sis.

Anonymous said...

Wow Karen, thanks for hiking that mountain for me. Now I never have too. I know you are way to much of a go getter to have quit so I knew you would make it. We are glad you didn't break your neck on the garbage bag sled. It sounds like a once in a lifetime trip. Glad you're home.